I finally managed to sneak in a few hours of sewing tonight, and got started on the muslin for Simplicity 2374:

P1050825

Sorry the picture is kind of grainy.  It’s an indoor flash photo. So far the muslin is going pretty well.  I cut the pattern in a size 4 and it seems to be fitting well without alteration, other than a couple inches off the skirt.  The back seam isn’t sewn yet (you can see the vent flapping at the back of the skirt.) There’s a little more ease under the arms than I’d want if I were going to leave this sleeveless, but I’m planning on drafting a slim half sleeve (maybe there will be time tomorrow) so I’ll probably need the ease.

This is just a muslin and I’m still tweaking the collar draft, but I think it’s pretty close. The fabric is a knit of the most vile polyester ever in a very brilliant shade of emerald green (richer and more saturated than in the photo.)  I got a huge piece of it at a thrift shop some months ago because I love the color, but it’s pretty nasty stuff.  Despite washing, it has that gramma’s closet smell. It feels like it could be related to the stuff they use to upholster airplane seats. It doesn’t wrinkle but it seriously resists ironing.  I had to use the wool setting with lots of steam to get the seam allowances to open flat.  But other than that it’s super easy to cut and sew.  I do like the color quite a lot and I think I may turn this muslin into something wearable once I’m done with fitting.

For the final version, I’ll be using a soft black double knit and some white ponte de roma for a contrast collar and cuffs to make a version inspired by this L’Wren Scott dress:

headmistress-dress

It’s nice to have a few hours to sew again, and really nice to make a muslin and find that it doesn’t need any edits! I’m guessing the sleeve drafting will be a little fussier, but that’s a problem for another day.